Quit Smoking – January Newsletter
Quit Smoking and Enjoy a Happy, Healthy New Year!
Over the holidays we’ve been chatting about New Year’s Resolutions with many of our Penticton customers here at Carmi Remedy’s Rx. Although it’s just another date on the calendar, most seem to agree that the start of a new year is a natural time to take stock of many things in life, especially health.
Nearly five million people in Canada smoke and over 4400 people in Penticton are smokers. If you are a smoker, the decision to quit smoking is the single best way to improve your health. Quitting can be hard. In fact, most smokers try to quit 5-7 times before they finally succeed. Your Carmi Remedy’s Rx Pharmacist can help you stop smoking with products to curb cravings and reduce nicotine withdrawal.
Here are some healthy facts to help you quit smoking:
- Within 8 hours, the oxygen level in your blood increases to normal.
- Within 48 hours, your chances of having a heart attack start to go down. Your sense of smell and taste begin to improve.
- Within 72 hours, your lung capacity increases and breathing becomes easier.
- Within 2 to 12 weeks, blood circulation and lung function improve.
- Within 6 months, coughing, tiredness and shortness of breath is reduced by half.
- Within 1 year, your risk of suffering a heart attack is reduced by half.
- Within 10 years, the risk of dying from lung cancer is reduced by half.
Improve your chances for success:
- Set a quit date. Choose a day and time when you won’t be stressed. Write it down on a calendar or share it with a friend.
- Have a support system in place with friends or family. This can make a real difference and it’s a good idea to make sure some are right here in Penticton. Your Carmi Remedy’s Rx Pharmacist can also be part of your support team.
- Create an action plan. This might include writing out your reasons to quit smoking or listing your concerns about quitting. Learn ways to handle cravings. Avoid situations where the desire to smoke is greater.
Book a Stop Smoking Consultation at Carmi Remedy’s Rx (just up from Penticton Regional Hospital in the Carmi Medical Dental Building) to start your year off in a healthy way! Stop Smoking pharmacist programs are a series of consultations to help you prepare for and quit smoking. These private sessions are covered by most provincial health plans, so schedule an appointment with your Carmi Remedy’s Rx Pharmacist today as part of a healthier outlook for 2016!