DIABETES – My Health eNewsletter
November is Diabetes Awareness Month and World Diabetes Day is on November 14 – the birthdate of the famous Canadian insulin pioneer, Dr. Frederick Banting.
More than 9 million Canadians are living with diabetes or pre-diabetes. If left untreated or poorly managed, it can lead to complications such as heart disease, kidney disease, impotence, and nerve damage. While medications can help manage diabetes and avoid complications, there is no cure. Early detection and management is invaluable for a person’s long-term health.
Are you at risk?
The Public Health Agency of Canada’s CANRISK questionnaire identifies your risk level. Your Carmi Remedy’sRx Pharmacist can help with the quick, simple test, and explain the results.
Risk factors associated with developing type 2 diabetes:
- Being 40 years of age or older
- Being in a high-risk group (Aboriginal, Hispanic, Asian, South Asian or African descent)
- Having a close relative (parent or sibling) with type 2 diabetes
- A history of gestational diabetes, pre-diabetes or evidence of complications due to diabetes (such as eye, nerve or kidney problems)
- Heart disease, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol
- Being overweight (especially around the abdomen)
- Having given birth to a baby that weighed over 4kg (9lbs) at birth
If you have any of these risk factors, contact your healthcare provider. The sooner you are diagnosed, the sooner you can manage it and improve your health.
Diabetes care at Carmi Remedy’sRx
Your Carmi Remedy’sRx Pharmacist is your local source for diabetes care needs:
- Creams to keep your skin in its best condition
- Blood glucose testing meters, strips, lancets and log books
- Diabetes management assessments
- Recommendations for special circumstances, such as travel or when you are feeling ill
- Insulin pump supplies