Diabetes Awareness Month
November is Diabetes Awareness Month and World Diabetes Day is on November 14 – the birthdate of the famous Canadian insulin pioneer, Dr. Frederick Banting.
More than 9 million Canadians are living with diabetes or pre-diabetes. If left untreated or poorly managed, diabetes can lead to complications such as heart disease, kidney disease, impotence, and nerve damage. While medications can help manage diabetes and avoid complications, there is no cure. Early detection and management is invaluable for a person’s long-term health.
At Carmi Remedy’s Rx our Pharmacists in Penticton are here to help you with early detection and management.
Risk factors associated with developing type 2 diabetes:
- Being 40 years of age or older
- Being in a high-risk group (Aboriginal, Hispanic, Asian, South Asian or African descent)
- Having a close relative (parent or sibling) with type 2 diabetes
- A history of gestational diabetes, pre-diabetes or evidence of complications due to diabetes (such as eye, nerve or kidney problems)
- Heart disease, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol
- Being overweight (especially around the abdomen)
- Having given birth to a baby that weighed over 4kg (9lbs) at birth
If you have any of these risk factors, contact your healthcare provider and get checked for diabetes. Diabetes Awareness is key to early detection and preventative care.
The sooner you are aware of having diabetes, the sooner you can manage it and improve your health.
Are you at risk for diabetes?
The Public Health Agency of Canada’s CANRISK questionnaire identifies your risk of having type 2 diabetes. Your Carmi Remedy’s Rx Pharmacist in Penticton can help with the quick, simple test, and explain the results.
Diabetes care at Carmi Remedy’sRx in Penticton
Your Carmi Remedy’s Rx Pharmacist is your Penticton source for diabetes care needs:
- Creams to keep your skin in its best condition
- Blood glucose testing meters, strips, lancets and log books
- Diabetes management assessments
- Recommendations for special circumstances, such as travel or when you are feeling ill
- Insulin pump supplies
- Education and Diabetes Awareness
Speak with your Carmi Remedy’sRx Pharmacist in Penticton for more information about diabetes or if you have any questions about your prescription and non-prescription medications.
Carmi Remedy’s Rx | Your Penticton Pharmacy | Fantastic Healthcare Made Easy!