A Breath of Fresh Air
This month is lung awareness at Carmi Remedy’s Rx. Our lungs are pretty special. They bring air in and out of our bodies for our entire life without our even thinking about it. Our lungs are good to us and we should always take care of them, including looking out for diseases that can affect the lungs like asthma and chronic obstructive lung disease.
Canadian Lung Health Test1
Smokers and former smokers are at risk of developing COPD. COPD is short for “Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease”, and it’s the new name for emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Some non-smokers can also get COPD.
If you are over 40 and smoke or used to smoke, you are at risk for having COPD. Take this quick test to screen for symptoms:
- Do you cough regularly?
- Do you cough up phlegm regularly?
- Do even simple chores make you short of breath?
- Do you wheeze when you exert yourself (exercise, go up stairs)?
- Do you get many colds, and do your colds usually last longer than your friends’ colds?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of the questions above, you should mention this to your Carmi Remedy’s pharmacist or doctor. COPD is a long-term condition with no cure (yet), but you can relieve some symptoms and prevent or slow the progression of the condition.
If you, a friend or family member has COPD, your Carmi Remedy’s Rx Pharmacy offers:
• Checking of inhaler and device technique to optimize the benefits of your medications
• Medication review consultations to check for items that may aggravate the condition2
Carmi Remedy’s Rx pharmacists can also help with:
• Vaccinations to prevent lung infections, such as the flu and pneumonia
• COPD screening and management services
• MyHealth QuitNow stop smoking consultations
Come by and talk with your Carmi Remedy’s Rx pharmacist about your lungs. We are located just up the street from Penticton Regional Hospital in the Carmi Medical Dental Building.